Joanne manages front office operations and the Peer Advisor student team. She started working at ASU in 2012 and joined the Global Education Office in 2015. Joanne is originally from Boston and worked at Boston University for 14 years prior to moving to Arizona.
Phone: (480) 965-9391
- B.A. English Literature; Arizona State University
- First time abroad was to Italy at the age of two to visit family; extensive travels throughout Italy since then
- Lived with a host family in Manaus, Brazil, for a summer after high school
- Spent a summer traveling through Europe at 21
- Travel abroad often, most recently to Mexico, Thailand, Ireland and Italy
Why Joanne works in study abroad: I strongly believe in the importance of intercultural understanding, and study abroad makes that possible. International education is an exciting and interesting field, and I enjoy working with students who are excited about their study abroad opportunities.
Advice for students preparing to go abroad:
- Learn phrases in the local language if you don’t already know it.
- Do what it takes to meet and talk to locals.
- Explore neighborhoods and towns without looking for particular places or sites. Put your phone away and appreciate experiences in the moment.
One of the most important lessons Joanne learned while studying abroad or traveling: Be adaptable. If something goes wrong, look at it as an opportunity to grow. If you’re open to it, you may end up having an unforgettable experience because of changed plans.