Partnership & Exchange Programs
As the Associate Director for Partnership and Exchange Programs in the Arizona State University Global Education Office (GEO), Barbara leads the Partnership and Exchange team and related initiatives for ASU students. Since 2011, she has worked for a non-profit study abroad organization and in various roles within GEO with a focus on enrollment management, student support, academic initiatives, and program development.
- B.A. History (Latin American focus) and B.A. Spanish; Arizona State University
- Tempe Sister Cities high school exchange delegate to Carlow, Ireland
- Undergraduate study abroad: summer faculty-led program to Mexico, Ecuador and Costa Rica; semester in Granada, Spain (with ISA at University of Granada); summer internship in Ghana
- English teacher in Loja, Spain through the Spanish Ministry of Education
- Traveled to Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Mexico, Canada, Ghana, Morocco, Ireland, the U.K., Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Slovenia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Estonia and Finland
Professional contributions to the field of international education: Barbara served as Content Chair for the Rocky Mountain Lessons from Abroad Planning Committee and the Exhibitor/Sponsor Chair for the Southwest Lessons from Abroad Planning Committee.
Why Barbara works in global education: International education is a very dynamic field filled with professionals who are passionate about the programs and students they support. I greatly enjoy the people I work with from colleagues in my immediate office to international exchange partners around the world to ASU students just starting to see the potential opportunities available through studying abroad (and everyone in between).
Advice for students preparing to go abroad: Do your research! It is helpful to learn some details about your host country before arriving. This will allow for easier conversations with locals, classmates, your host family, etc. as well as a greater appreciation of where you are studying abroad.
One of the most important lessons Barbara learned while studying abroad or traveling: Studying and traveling abroad have taught me to stay calm in the face of challenges. Creativity, a willingness to be flexible, and a positive outlook on a difficult situation all lend to becoming a stronger problem solver.