Health and Safety
The health, safety, and security of ASU students participating in our Global Education programs is the primary concern for the ASU Global Education Office. Every effort is made to ensure that our students, faculty and staff traveling abroad have the resources and information they need for a successful Global Education experience. Though absolute safety cannot be guaranteed abroad just as it cannot be guaranteed in the United States, ASU is committed to taking the necessary steps to maximize student safety at every program site.
We have protocols and guidelines in place to minimize risk to our student participants:
- We monitor U.S. government advisories, considering both those issued by in-country embassies and consulates and by the U.S. Department of State.
- We are a member of the Overseas Security Advisory Council, a division of the Bureau of Diplomatic Security in the U.S. Department of State.
- We monitor news and intelligence information from a variety of sources around the world.
- We coordinate with a network of international safety and security experts working in higher education institutions around the U.S.
- Our staff are in contact with all students abroad, and students are kept updated on travel warnings or potential threats in their area.We maintain an emergency telephone number for students abroad. The phone line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Students attend mandatory pre-departure orientation sessions during which health and safety issues are covered in detail.
- All Global Education program participants will be covered by a mandatory, comprehensive insurance plan (except those students participating in a program based entirely in the U.S.). Information on the insurance provided for participants in your specific program is available from your International Coordinator in the Global Education Office, or within your online program application.
- ASU Counseling Services offers Global Education Office program participants 24/7/365 global access to a mental health provider through a free telehealth service. Learn more and download the app (for android and IOS).