Choosing a Program
How do you choose the best program for YOU? Below are tips on what to consider when choosing a program.
- Do you need to complete major, minor, elective, or language credits? Be sure to discuss your Global Education program with your Academic Advisor.
- Would you like to focus on a new area of study during your program?
- Would you prefer to take classes led by an ASU faculty member with only ASU students? Faculty-Directed Programs are for you.
- Do you want to take classes in English with local students, international students, and American students while having access to on site professional staff? This program structure is usually available in Partnership Programs.
- Do you want a very independent experience while taking classes at a local university in the local language? This can be found through Exchange Programs.
- Are you interested in an internship, research, or service learning opportunity as a part of your program?
- Do you have a specific culture, region, or country of interest?
- Would you prefer a traveling program with multiple destinations?
- Would you prefer to live in a major metropolitan area, a small city, or a rural area?
- How much time do you want to spend abroad – a couple weeks, an entire summer, a semester, an academic year, or a calendar year?
- How much flexibility do you have for when you can study abroad? Can you only study abroad during a specific term?
Would you prefer to live with a host family, with local students, with other U.S. and international Global Education students, or with other ASU students?
- Can your current scholarships, grants or tuition waivers be used during a Global Education program?
- How much does a semester abroad cost in comparison to a semester at ASU? (Hint: check out the link to find out!)
- If you use federal or state financial aid, have you submitted a cost sheet to have your aid reassessed to receive additional funding?
- Have you brainstormed community-based funding ideas?
- Do you pay in-state or out-of-state tuition? Program costs may vary according to status.
- Learn about more funding options at the Financing Your Study Abroad Workshop and Explore Funding Options online.
Do you meet the minimum eligibility requirements for study abroad and the admission requirements for your selected Global Education program?
Do you have any special needs such as a medical condition, learning disability, mental health condition or dietary restriction that may need accommodation or specialized resources while abroad?
Want more information custom to you? Fill out this quick form and a member of our team will be in touch.