Gilman International Scholarship
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship* is a grant that is offered by the U.S. Department of State to support undergraduate students to study and intern abroad. If you’re getting a Pell grant at ASU and are studying or interning abroad in one country for at least three weeks, you can apply!
*Please review our Refund Policy for students who apply for but do not receive a Boren or Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship.
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be an undergraduate student in good standing at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States (including both two-year and four-year institutions);
- Be receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term of his/her Global Education program or internship;
- Be in the process of applying to, or accepted for, a Global Education or internship program of at least three weeks and eligible for credit from the student’s home institution. Proof of program acceptance is required prior to award disbursement;
- Be proposing to study in a country not currently under a Travel Warning issued by the United States Department of State or otherwise determined ineligible for program participation.
Spring 2021 Sessions: Gilman Info Sessions & Scholarship Writing Workshops
Online Info Sessions (via Zoom)
The Office of National Scholarship Advisement will be hosting a series of information sessions about the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship. Students who are Pell Grant recipients and spending three weeks on a Global Education program are eligible to apply.
- Tuesday, January 26 - 12:00 p.m. Register in advance
- Friday, January 29 - 10:00 a.m. Register in advance
- Wednesday, February 3 - 4:30 p.m. Register in advance
Writing Workshops (via Zoom)
Learn how to make your essays for the Gilman scholarship as competitive as possible! We’ll cover what to highlight in your scholarship essay, brainstorm characteristics that make you most qualified, share examples of good past applicant essays, and offer tips for honing your competitive edge.