Gilman International Scholarship
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship* is a grant that is offered by the U.S. Department of State to support undergraduate students to study and intern abroad. If you’re getting a Pell grant at ASU and are studying or interning abroad in one country for at least three weeks, you can apply!
*Please review our Refund Policy for students who apply for but do not receive a Boren or Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship.
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be an undergraduate student in good standing at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States (including both two-year and four-year institutions);
- Be receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term of his/her Global Education program or internship;
- Be in the process of applying to, or accepted for, a Global Education or internship program that is eligible for credit from the student’s home institution. Proof of program acceptance is required prior to award disbursement;
- Be proposing to study in a country not currently under a Travel Warning issued by the United States Department of State or otherwise determined ineligible for program participation.
Fall 2021 Sessions: Gilman International Scholarship Writing Workshops
Writing Workshops (via Zoom)
Learn how to make your essays for the Gilman scholarship as competitive as possible! We’ll cover what to highlight in your scholarship essay, brainstorm characteristics that make you most qualified, share examples of good past applicant essays, and offer tips for honing your competitive edge.